Sunday, 22 October 2017

My Botox Experience: What it's really like


If you follow me on Instagram you may be aware that I recently underwent my first non-surgical cosmetic treatment at Therapie Clinic. That's right, I took the plunge and voluntarily signed myself up to get numerous needles pricked into my face in the name of all things beauty.

I knew I couldn't get botox and not share my complete and honest experience of what it's really like, especially for anyone out there that's considering the treatment. I also vlogged the experience (eeeek) so don't leave before checking that out below :)

Let's just start out by saying that I'm an absolute convert. Pre-botox I actually wasn't really sure I was ready or 'at that stage' as i didn't have deep ingrained wrinkles on my forehead however I can't believe the difference the treatment has given to my face in the most subtle way. Read on to find out why I won't be turning my back on this treatment anytime soon.

So WHY. Why botox at the tender age of 28?
Well, for me, I had considered it as something I would get for my wedding to make sure I looked and felt as flawless as I possibly could. I knew however that I would need to try it in advance to decide if I liked it or not, so now felt like the perfect time. Finally, and most importantly, fine lines and wrinkles had started to develop on my face, particularly around my eyes, and this treatment was one proven way of stopping them in their tracks.

Where did you get it done?
I headed to Therapie Clinic in Glasgow's city centre - based on St Vincent Street - and I couldn't recommend their service enough. Considering that this was my first experience of anything like this and I'm a textbook scardey cat, the therapist I worked with done wonders to put my mind at ease. Their experience and responsible approach to cosmetic treatments is exactly what you want when signing up for a treatment like this.

What was it really like?
As mentioned, I'm pretty much scared of any kind of pain. Don't even try to pinch me and expect me to not over-react about how painful it was. Seriously though, getting an ear piercing even scares me silly so the thought of getting multiple needles pricked into my head, BY CHOICE, was something I couldn't really process.

I was nervous about the treatment the entire morning leading up to my appointment. When I arrived I was sweating quite a bit and my nerves only heightened as I jumped onto the treatment bed. Thankfully the pain was not even a fraction of what I imagined it would be.

Firstly, my therapist asked me to wiggle my face around so she could establish which areas needed to be focused on before she rubbed some alcohol wipes across my head to give it a good clean. Next, she drew little white dots on the areas she was going to target and talked me over her approach to check I was happy with everything.

Now it was time for the dreaded injections.

The injection had the tiniest needle I have ever seen and the pain accurately reflected this. It basically feels like a tiny prick on your skin that stings for no more than one, maybe two seconds max. The sorest area for me was definitely around my eyes - apparently this is because the skin in this area is finer and therefore more sensitive to pain. I'd say on a level of 1-10 for pain, the forehead was around a 2 and the eyes were verging on a 4. It may even be less than that but I'll go with that to be safe.

All in all, my treatment lasted about 40 minutes with around 10 minutes of that being the actual injections. It really is a super quick and easy treatment and like myself, you can head straight back to work and get on with your day as you would normally. I had little red bumps across my head immediately after but these faded pretty quickly.

Over the next 24-48 hours it felt very obvious that I had done something to my skin. It's hard to explain but the best way I can describe it is that my forehead felt present. I was very aware that the Botox was sitting under my skin - definitely a strange feeling but thankfully this passes in a day or two.

How long does it take to kick in? 

My botox started to kick in after 3-4 days which is a little quicker than average. Generally I think this can take up to 2 weeks to fully take effect.

What are the results like? 

As expected, my head and eye area have 'frozen' to a certain degree. I say certain degree as I can still move my face as I would have before, the only difference is that my skin doesn't crinkle together and therefore doesn't wrinkle. I also look a little glowy-er which I LOVE. I mean, who doesn't want their skin glowing?! And lastly, I think my eyebrows have raised ever so slightly which makes my eyes look more awake.

All in all I'm obsessed with the results this quick and mostly painless treatment gives you. I couldn't recommend it enough and I've already convinced a few of my friends that it's something they will love.

And finally, how much does it cost? 

For three areas (forehead, frown line and around the eyes) the treatment costs £199. Definitely not a cheap treatment to get but it's absolutely worth every penny.


So there we have it - my complete botox experience. I hope you enjoyed this type of post (and my first video!), please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you have about what it's like to get botox.

Until next time....

xoxo


SHARE:
© The Girl with the Big Hair

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Blogger Template Created by pipdig